Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Good-bye 20's...

...and hello 30's. Today is my BIG 3-0 (why do they call it that anyway??) and despite my best efforts to be down about getting older, my wonderful family and friends have managed to make this a great day for me by calling, sending e-mails, cards, etc. with sweet birthday wishes. I always feel so lucky to be surrounded by such great people! Thank you, all!

The weather has been kinda gloomy for the most part, which seemed very fitting for the day. I have always known that I would have a hard time reaching this milestone and it has been a little tough... I mean, how many women like getting older? I am really noticing the wrinkles/laugh lines around my eyes and stray grey hairs popping up and I think I have seen more doctors this year than I have over the past 10 years. I have had my annual female check-up (because I had to), an appointment to check my cholesterol (to make sure I wasn't on the verge of a heart-attack), an eye exam (to make sure I didn't have some sort of tumor due to headaches and eye stress- no tumor, just an increase in prescription), an ENT appointment (to make sure I didn't have some sort of tumor due to horrible ear pain- no tumor, just chronic ear pain), an emergency room visit resulting from a gallbladder attack (and now I have a scheduled gallbladder removal in December.. fun!) and an MRI for a benign spot on my liver. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I still have to see an orthopedist for back pain and a periodontist for bone loss on a tooth. Yeah.. getting older isn't proving to be fun at all. Although, I have been saying that I would rather get old and celebrate more birthdays than the alternative. So, if my 30's manage to be half as good as my 20's, then I suppose I'm looking forward to it. :-)

The beautiful flowers my Dad sent me:


The beautiful rainbow through the gloom:


My beautiful, messy boy after eating birthday chocolate covered strawberries and bananas:


(I'm not sure why Travis was trying to get him to say 'touchdown,' but Tyler just wanted his picture taken. haha)